A deluxe graphic novel and limited edition by Jan Strnad and Richard Corben
Pledged for US$ 51,200 goal (Kickstarter This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, September 16 2019 5:00 PM UTC +03:00.)
- Pledge US$ 5 or more: Karmic Kickback (Pledge of support of no reward other than our gratitude and a vague promise of Karmic compensation.
- Pledge US$15 or more: One Digital Edition (PDF) of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World. The file will delivered directly to your inbox. ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Dec. 2019.
- Pledge US$45 or more: Printed trade hardback (Hardback copy of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World, 160 pages, full color. Mutant World runs 72 pages, Son of Mutant World is 60 pages. The original covers are reproduced with no logos or bullets to obscure the art. Bonus material also includes the original introductions from the first graphic novel printing and vintage photos of Richard Corben and Jan Strnad.) ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Dec. 2019. SHIPS TO: Anywhere in the world. UPDATE (Aug. 16, 2019): We’ll be automatically adding the Digital Edition to all print book orders. You don’t need to change your order or do anything–it’ll just happen.
- Pledge US$90 or more: TWO copies of the printed hardback shipped to the same address, and one copy of the digital edition sent to one email address. ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Dec. 2019. SHIPS TO: Anywhere in the world.
- ALL GONE (less than 24 hours)! Pledge US$125 or more: Limited edition with art print. Orders are limited to ONE COPY PER PERSON and 200 copies total. This is the hardback edition of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World, 160 pages, full color with the addition of an exclusive art print tipped in, numbered and signed by Richard Corben, Jan Strnad, and Beth Corben Reed. Mutant World runs 72 pages, Son of Mutant World is 60 pages. The original covers are reproduced with no logos or bullets to obscure the art. Bonus material also includes the original introductions from the first graphic novel printing and vintage photos of Richard Corben and Jan Strnad.) ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Dec. 2019. SHIPS TO: Anywhere in the world. UPDATE (Aug. 16, 2019): We’ll be automatically adding the Digital Edition to all print book orders. You don’t need to change your order or do anything–it’ll just happen. (the max backers: 200)
- 830 backers pledged $65,318 to help bring this project to life. Sept. 16, 2019.
- US$ 65,252 / 828 backers / 45 minutes to go (Sept. 16, 2019 @ 2:15 P.M. CET)
- US$ 64,682 / 816 backers / 9 hours to go (Sept. 16, 2019 @ 5:30 A.M. CET)
- US$ 63,588 / 796 backers / 29 hours to go (Sept. 15, 2019 @ 9:09 A.M. CET)
- US$ 63,124 / 784 backers / 41 hours to go (Sept. 14, 2019 @ 9:53 P.M. CET)
- US$ 62,099 / 765 backers / 51 hours to go (Sept. 14, 2019 @ 11:28 A.M. CET)
- US$ 60,890 / 745 backers / 3 days to go (Sept. 12, 2019 @ 5:54 P.M. CET)
- US$ 60,839 / 744 backers / 4 days to go (Sept. 12, 2019 @ 4:26 A.M. CET)
- US$ 60,144 / 734 backers / 5 days to go (Sept. 10, 2019 @ 5:02 P.M. CET)
- The $60,000 mark stretch goal achieved. Sept 10, 2019.
- US$ 59,183 / 726 backers / 6 days to go (Sept. 9, 2019 @ 6:43 P.M. CET)
- US$ 59,183 / 726 backers / 7 days to go (Sept. 9, 2019 @ 5:39 A.M. CET)
- Update #8: The stretch goal for engaging the multi-talented Steve Vance to put the finishing design touches on book kicks in as we approach the $60,000 mark. September 8, 2019.
- US$ 58,996 / 723 backers / 8 days to go (Sept. 8, 2019 @ 10:13 P.M. CET)
- US$ 58,915 / 720 backers / 9 days to go (Sept. 7, 2019 @ 3:35 A.M. CET)
- US$ 58,711 / 716 backers / 10 days to go (Sept. 5, 2019 @ 9:07 P.M. CET)
- US$ 58,377 / 708 backers / 11 days to go (Sept. 4, 2019 @ 5:14 P.M. CET)
- Update #7: Dust jacket stretch goal achieved. September 3, 2019.
- US$ 57,690 / 700 backers / 12 days to go (Sept. 3, 2019 @ 6:56 P.M. CET)
- US$ 56,964 / 688 backers / 14 days to go (Sept. 2, 2019 @ 10:28 A.M. CET)
- US$ 56,641 / 683 backers / 15 days to go (Sept. 1, 2019 @ 10:10 A.M. CET)
- US$ 56,233 / 677 backers / 16 days to go (Aug. 31, 2019 @ 6:25 A.M. CET)
- US$ 56,023 / 672 backers / 17 days to go (Aug. 30, 2019 @ 2:25 P.M. CET)
- US$ 55,328 / 659 backers / 18 days to go (Aug. 28, 2019 @ 9:29 P.M. CET)
- US$ 55,039 / 654 backers / 19 days to go (Aug. 28, 2019 @ 10:41 A.M. CET)
- US$ 54,270 / 643 backers / 20 days to go (Aug. 26, 2019 @ 9:12 P.M. CET)
- US$ 54,007 / 640 backers / 21 days to go (Aug. 25, 2019 @ 4:22 P.M. CET)
- US$ 53,210 / 628 backers / 22 days to go (Aug. 24, 2019 @ 6:05 P.M. CET)
- US$ 53,129 / 625 backers / 23 days to go (Aug. 24, 2019 @ 6:34 A.M. CET)
- Update #6: The stretch goal for the dust jacket kicks in when we get our 700th backer. Aug. 24, 2019.
- US$ 51,268 / 593 backers / 25 days to go (Aug. 22, 2019 @ 4:43 A.M. CET)
- 100% pledged of US$ 51,200 goal. Aug. 22, 2019 @ 3:43 A.M. CET
- US$ 51,064 / 589 backers / 25 days to go (Aug. 21, 2019 @ 11:34 P.M. CET)
- US$ 50,571 / 582 backers / 25 days to go (Aug. 21, 2019 @ 4:04 P.M. CET)
- US$ 49,280 / 559 backers / 26 days to go (Aug. 20, 2019 @ 7:18 P.M. CET)
- US$ 48,815 / 550 backers / 26 days to go (Aug. 20, 2019 @ 3:55 P.M. CET)
- US$ 47,156 / 531 backers / 27 days to go (Aug. 19, 2019 @ 9:00 P.M. CET)
- US$ 45,333 / 501 backers / 28 days to go (Aug. 18, 2019 @ 11:44 P.M. CET)
- US$ 44,246 / 478 backers / 29 days to go (Aug. 18, 2019 @ 2:14 P.M. CET)
- US$ 40,010 / 396 backers / 30 days to go (Aug. 17, 2019 @ 3:16 P.M. CET)
- 77% (circa US$ 39,425) in the first 24 hours
- US$ 38,790 / 376 backers / 31 days to go (Aug. 16, 2019 @ 5:40 A.M. CET)
- Pledge to limited edition (US$125) run out in less than a day
- US$ 28,002 / 254 backers / 31 days to go (Aug. 15, 2019 @ 7:40 P.M. CET)
- Launch date: August 15, 2019
- Link to Kickstarter
A hardback, collector’s edition of two graphic novels for mature readers. Full-color, 160 letter-sized pages, with bonus material. Out of print for more than thirty years, this is the definitive edition. Written by Richard Corben and Jan Strnad, illustrated by Richard Corben.
Richard Corben was the Grand Prix winner at the Angoulême International Comics Festival in 2018, named President of the festival in 2019, and honored this year with a 250-piece exhibit of his work. A page from his The Last Voyage of Sindbad was on exhibit in the Louvre in Paris from September 26, 2018 to July 1st of this year, and another page from that graphic novel is part of the traveling Guillermo Del Toro exhibit “At Home with Monsters.”
Back in 1978, Richard Corben and I created a comics series for a new magazine, 1984, published by the now-defunct New York company, Warren Publications, best known for their legendary Famous Monsters of Filmland and Creepy and Eerie magazines.
The series was Mutant World, a post-apocalyptic tale about a mutant named “Dimento” and his quest for love and survival in a world that no longer harbors love for living things. In the course of his adventure he runs afoul of wild beasts, a religious fanatic, sewer creatures, mad scientists, and devious mutants determined to cheat him out of his hard-won foodstuffs.
The series’ publication in the pages of 1984 magazine was marred by the machinations of an editor who butchered dialogue and rearranged panels on a whim, without consent and sometimes blatantly against creators’ wishes.
The story was finally seen as we intended it a few years later when Richard and Catalan Communications published the graphic novel, restoring my original dialogue and adding eight new pages to deepen the story and smooth the transitions between chapters (bringing the total to 72 pages).
We’ve long wanted to bring Mutant World back in a quality edition. Kickstarter is giving us that opportunity as well as a chance to sweeten the pot with the story’s sequel, Son of Mutant World.
Son of Mutant World was serialized in five underground comic books, twelve pages per issue, for a total of 60 pages. The story centers on Dimento’s grown daughter, Dimentia, her companion bear, Ollie, and a handful of other survivors on their journey to find safe haven on an island besieged by a mutant gang and brain-sucking plants.
The first two episodes were printed in color, the last three in black-and-white.
Son of Mutant World was collected as a graphic novel in Europe but it was never collected in the English language. We wanted to set that situation straight with this book, combining Mutant World and Son of Mutant World into one volume.
The undergrounds were never known for their quality of printing and Son of Mutant Worldwas no exception. The paper for the color edition soaked up ink like a paper towel and the color came out too dark, obscuring much of the detail in Richard’s art. The black-and-white halftones in the last three episodes suffered from the same effect.
To make up for the printing sins of the past, Richard hired his daughter, Beth Corben Reed, an artist in her own right, to color Son of Mutant World all over again. Beth has been coloring her father’s work for a few years now. The result is the first English-language presentation of Son of Mutant World the way Richard wants it to be remembered.
As bonus material, we’ve added the original covers to Mutant World and Son of Mutant Worldwith and without the logo and bullets, a couple of vintage photos of Richard and me from the era, and our original introductions to the first Mutant World graphic novel.
We’re publishing two editions of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World: a trade edition and a Limited Edition. Both books are hardbacks but the Limited Edition also includes a giclée print of an original piece of art Richard created especially for this book, numbered and signed by Richard, me, and Beth. This edition will be limited to two hundred copies total and one copy per person.
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World is ready to go to press! We’ll be signing the art prints during the course of this campaign. We’re anticipating a three-month turnaround from the end of the campaign until backers receive their copies. All books will be mailed in sturdy cardboard boxes designed for shipping books worldwide.
Completing this project absolutely depends on meeting our Kickstarter goal, so please get your orders in now and help us make this book a reality. Thank you!
Update #1, August 16, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
I was surprised by the number of people who wanted both a print copy and a digital PDF of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World.
We hear and obey, O Masters! (Hm, maybe I should have saved that line for another project.)
We’ll be automatically adding the Digital Edition to all print book orders. You don’t need to change your order or do anything–it’ll just happen.
Meanwhile, we hit 77% of our goal in the first 24 hours of our campaign. This is an extraordinary show of support, for which we thank you! Now begins the harder, longer trek to achieve the remaining 23%. We’re confident that fans will take us to our goal, but it’ll take some work to get the word out. Please share the campaign on your social media platform of choice!
Here’s the link for sharing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/janstrnad/mutant-world-and-son-of-mutant-world
Update #2, August 20, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Here’s how to add a copy of the trade edition to your pledge:
Go to “Manage My Pledge” and add the following amount to your pledge. NOTE that the amount VARIES BY COUNTRY.
Australia: Add $80
Canada: Add $55
France: Add $70
Germany: Add $70
Japan: Add $75
Netherlands: Add $70
Spain: Add $70
UK: Add $80
USA: Add $46
All other countries: Add $85
Again, I apologize for the high shipping cost outside of the USA.
We’ll send out a survey at the close of the campaign and you can remind us what books you ordered, we can check the math to verify, and we should be good to go.
Update #3, August 20, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Reward added to let people order two copies of the trade, hardback edition
I’ve added a reward letting people pledge $90 plus shipping for two copies of the trade hardback.
If you’ve made two separate pledges for the trade edition, you might want to cancel those pledges and make this one instead, as it will probably save you some shipping.
If you’ve pledged for the limited edition and want a TRADE copy added, you’ll need to CHANGE your pledge. HANG ON TO YOUR PLEDGE for the limited edition, as those are sold out! See the FAQ or the previous update for shipping amounts.
I apologize for the confusion! For some reason I didn’t anticipate people wanting two copies!
Update #4, August 22, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World has reached its Kickstarter goal! We are now officially funded and the book is going to happen!
Many, many thanks to the backers who’ve made this project possible!
Update #5, August 23, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Five new photos added to book
I’ve been reading the requests to add sketches to Mutant World and Son of Mutant World. People are curious about Richard’s process!
Richard made a diligent search for some sketches but, sadly, came up empty-handed. This art was created about forty years ago and he’s moved his studio since then, and whatever loose sketches he had sitting around have disappeared.
What he did find, though, were some photos from modeling sessions featuring himself, Bruce Jones, and Karen Gilbertson. We’re adding them to the book alongside the panels based on the photos.
I find these photos fascinating because you can see what Richard used from the photos and what he changed.
And yes, I get a kick out of seeing Richard’s “Dimento impression.”
Update #6: August 24, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Dust jacket stretch goal added to Mutant World and Son of Mutant World for Kickstarter backers
Many thanks to the Kickstarter backers who put us over our goal in the first week and who are making this book possible!
We’re adding a stretch goal of a color dust jacket for those who order the book through Kickstarter. The dust jacket will be included with both the limited and trade editions, but only to Kickstarter backers.
The stretch goal kicks in when we get our 700th backer.
Here’s the artwork for the dust jacket with some type identifying it. This isn’t the final design, of course, as the title and credits will appear on the right side of the illustration.
We do have to reach that goal in order to fit this addition into our budget, so burn up that social media, tell your friends, buttonhole strangers in the street, do whatever you can (legally) do to put us over the top!
Update #7: September 3, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Dust jacket stretch goal achieved
I woke up this morning to see that we now have 701 backers, meaning that the stretch goal of a full color dust jacket has been achieved!
Many thanks to all of you who promoted the book to your friends and put us over the top here.
We’ve been doing some redesign work on the book to accommodate the extra photos we’ve added and it’s proceeding apace. Richard has approved the paper and quality of the art print and production of the signed and numbered prints has begun. No delays expected at this point!
Update #8: September 8, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
As we approach the $60,000 mark, we’ve added a new “unstretch” goal
I’m pleased to announce that we’ve engaged the multi-talented Steve Vance to put the finishing design touches on Mutant World and Son of Mutant World.
Steve’s recent design work can be seen in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD box sets and his CD box sets for Rhino Records. He won a Grammy for his CD box design for Brain in a Box, which can be seen here: https://blog.unifiedmanufacturing.com/cd-packaging-brain-box/
Steve’s hard at work even as we speak. No production delays are expected.
We’re in the final week of our campaign so it’s getting pretty exciting around here!
Update #9: September 14, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
We’re down to the wire!
We’ve reached that point in the campaign where Kickstarter starts counting down in hours rather than days! We’re still on schedule and all is looking good.
Many thanks to the backers who are making the project possible. I’m very excited to see the final product and hope that you are, too!
Update #10: September 16, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World is now officially a thing!
The campaign has reached a successful completion and the book is now entering the production phase!
We have a few little tweaks to make to the digital files due to our last-minute upgrades and it takes a couple of weeks to receive the funds from Kickstarter, but we are off and running.
Many thanks to the 830 backers who are making the book a reality!
Watch your inbox for a survey from us that will finalize your mailing address and other information. It’s important that you return the survey as soon as possible so that we can begin fulfillment.
Jan and Rich
Update #11: October 2, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
I still need mailing addresses for six backers!
Kickstarter didn’t receive surveys from y’all, and my emails have gone unanswered. Maybe they’re stuck in your spam folder, maybe the survey or your reply got lost, I don’t know. But whatever the reason, I don’t have mailing addresses for the following backers:
I’m putting together the spreadsheet to send to the fulfillment center very soon. Please send me a message on Kickstarter with your mailing address or some way to contact you to get it!
You don’t want to miss out on all this great Corben art, such as this two-page spread from Son of Mutant World!
Update #12: October 11, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World is at the printer!
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World has gone to the printer!
We hit a few stumbling blocks, including acute bronchitis, a house fire, and cover samples being sent three times to the wrong address before we figured out what was wrong, but we allowed some extra time for “unforeseen circumstances” so we’re still looking at delivery before the end of the year.
I’ve reviewed PDFs of the finished book and they look outstanding, thanks to our designer Steve Vance.
I’m now starting the process of merging Kickstarter’s mailing address spreadsheet (from those who responded to the survey) with my own spreadsheet (people who responded via messages here and through email and Facebook). I’ll be refunding ONE pledge only, which is pretty good out of more than 800 backers, for lack of a mailing address. (Sorry, Jason–I hope you’re okay, wherever you are!)
Update #13: October 18, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World art prints are signed and delivered!
The limited edition art prints have been signed and delivered to the printer.
Here’s a pic of Richard and Beth signing the prints, which BTW look astounding! After this photo was taken, they FedExed the prints to me, I signed them, and they were delivered to the printer today (10/17/19) and signed for by one K.POGGEMEYER. Thank you, K., for being there!
As for the book itself, our files are under review and we should have PDFs of the book in the next two or three days for our review.
Update #14: November 9, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World is in production
I don’t want to inundate people with updates, but I’ve had some inquiries so here’s the latest: We’ve seen, reviewed, and tweaked the proofs to Mutant World and Son of Mutant World and the book is in production. We’re still on schedule to send out books next month.
And that’s that!
Update #15: November 22, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World digital editions have been uploaded
The digital edition of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World has been posted.
The file is too large to email directly, but I’ve sent email and Kickstarter messages giving the site address and password to download the book.
HEY! It was easy to send Kickstarter messages to everyone who responded to the survey, but I have some people who I had to track down. I’ve emailed the names I remembered but I may have missed a few of you. If you haven’t received an email from me about the digital edition, let me know and I’ll send you the info.
Update #16: November 27, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Congratulations, it’s a book!
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World shipped from the printer today, Wednesday, November 27, 2019.
The books are on their way from Michigan to our fulfillment center in Virginia. They are expected to arrive on December 3rd and they’ll start sending out copies on December 4th.
I’m eagerly awaiting arrival of my FedEx’d copy!
Jan Strnad, Anomaly Publications
Update #17: December 3, 2019 (Jan Strnad):
Books have arrived…and a BONUS!
Mutant World and Son of Mutant World books have arrived!
Shipping has begun, and we’ve thrown in a couple of bonuses to Kickstarter backers!
Each trade edition is shipping with a giclée print of the original Mutant World cover uncluttered by logos and such.
Each limited edition ships with the Mutant World cover print and an 8×10″ giclée print of the Son of Mutant World art that’s bound inside the book.
That’s the trade edition on the left and the limited edition on the right. Not pictured is the full-color dust jacket, but it’ll be there!
Each book will be sealed in a plastic, bubble-wrap mailer and then fitted into a cardboard book mailer with an impact-absorbing lip on the top and bottom edges for safe travels.
Backers who gave us their address through the Kickstarter survey will be emailed tracking numbers automatically. Otherwise you’ll need to ask me for it and I’ll see if I can get it from the fulfillment center.
Thanks much for your support of our project!
- Who is the publisher of record for this book? Anomaly Publications, a registered DBA of Jan Strnad. Last updated: Fri, August 16 2019 7:27 PM UTC +03:00
- I want both the Digital Edition and a print book. How do I get both? The Digital Edition comes with each print book automatically. Last updated: Fri, August 16 2019 7:27 PM UTC +03:00
- How do I order multiple copies? Kickstarter limits pledges to one per account. You can “oversubscribe” and request more copies, but please note:YOU’LL NEED TO DOUBLE THE SHIPPING CHARGES AS WELL. They’re based on weight, and when shipping to Europe we have a strict four-pound limit. With each book weighing 2+ pounds, each book will be shipped separately. Last updated: Fri, August 16 2019 7:41 PM UTC +03:00
- Will there be foreign language editions of Mutant World and Son of Mutant World? Yes, though not from us. There will be a French edition and maybe others. Last updated: Fri, August 16 2019 7:41 PM UTC +03:00
Risks and challenges
We committed to this book nearly a year ago when we began the pre-press work. We’ve already invested about $10,000 of our own money before launching this Kickstarter, so it’s a project we’re determined to bring to fruition.
We’re using Sheridan Books in the USA to avoid issues that can occur unexpectedly when printing overseas. Richard and I are both experienced publishers so we’re familiar with the processes and the potential stumbling blocks.
The book itself is ready. We need to sign the art prints and ship them to the printer. We’ll be doing this during the campaign.
Risks are delays in signing the art prints due to illness, loss or damage of art prints in shipping, delays for some reason on the printer’s end, or some unforeseen issue affecting fulfillment.
Of course, we’ll keep everyone posted on the project’s progress and let you know if it’s delayed for any reason.
Questions about this project? Check out the FAQ